Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Christmas Morning

Two reasons that I called it Christmas morning. One, I woke up to snow. Two, FedEx delivers early. That's right. All the parts came together. I had some chores around the house to finish before the boss would let me get to work on the bike but this afternoon was great.

The highway boards mounted right up and look and feel really good. I obviously need to ride to see if they are just right. The passenger boards were a simple one bolt switch. I did however add a rubber spacer to the hinge bolt just to take up some space. It is a little sloppy and I thought the rubber would reduce vibration noise. They look really good on the bike and I had Rachel custom adjust them for her comfort.

I drained the SeaFoam oil and pulled the filter. The oil was a little bit milky towards the end and I assume that is from the Seafoam and not leaky head gaskets. That is what I'm telling myself anyways. Otherwise the color wasn't too bad. The filter that I replaced was a K&N. I felt bad taking it out because I know that they are expensive but, irregardless I did change it. Everything went back together really well. I ended up using Mobil 10w30 red cap. I have read that a lot of Wingers like it. I didn't go synthetic because it was twice as expensive. I might try it in the future but not now.

I was also pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to replace the clutch cable. The most difficult part is removing all the tupperware and the clutch adjustment cover. I fished a length of parachute cord through with the old cable and was able to pull the new cable though quite easily with the help of a beautiful blonde. I ran out of time before I could make the final adjustments to the clutch but I am very optimistic that it will adjust better now. The pull on the new cable is much smoother and lighter.

I still need to replace the brake cylinder and mount the driver boards and rocker pedal. One post on the forum said that it took him about an hour and a half to mount his. I'll be glad if I do it in a day and a half. The instructions are on a single sheet of paper, front and back. Could prove to be interesting. Trev has already offered to help which I will gladly accept.

Total garage time today: 3hrs 30 min.

No comments: