Tuesday, April 13, 2010

At long last

So last Tuesday I spent the full day mounting the driver floor boards. Yes, ALL day. As it turns out the person who designed the floor boards has no intention of actually installing them. Everything mostly fit, mostly.

One trip to the College to drill out one of the bolt holes.

One hour to decide that it is impossible to shorten the amount of travel in the rear brake despite what the instructions say.

One trip to Ace Hardware to get extra washers, rubber grommets, and a nut.

One tired dude.

And one good looking bike.

In the end they turned out really nice. I had to remove the case guard and replace it with the one that was on the '78. In turn I temporally lost my highway boards, but I no longer bang my shins on them. There is much more room for the driver however the controls are still back in the original spots. The rocker shifter is a little weird. I've been out a few times now and I am getting better with it. I'm afraid that in a bind I would resort to reflex and that rocker could get me in trouble.

No comments: