Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Sea Foam

We finally had some nice weather today and so this afternoon I decided to take the bike for a ride to the local Auto Zone. I found the Sea Foam which turned out to be a little more expensive then I had first thought. Ten dollars later I rode home to start my experiment with a warm bike.

Sea Foam can be added to fuel, oil, vacuum lines and probably every other part of the bike. I read the recommended quantities for each and then got started. I first poured a 3 or 4 ounces into the gas tank. I think it is a 5 gallon tank and I was a little over half full. Again I am guessing as to how many ounces I used based off a 16 oz bottle. I then added about the same amount to the oil by pouring it directly into the the oil fill. This puts me at roughly half the bottle.


Next I removed the air cleaner cover and started the bike. The Sea Foam website recommends pouring Sea Foam directly into the intake until the motor stalls. Well I didn't stall the engine but I poured slowly and little at at a time.  The website also shows a car smoking like mad as it burns the Sea Foam and true to form so did the bike.


I rode the bike around just a little bit after adding the Sea Foam. It smoked the whole time. Interestingly enough only from the left tailpipe. I don't know if one of those cylinders has bad rings or what is causing the extra smoke. I did notice how ever that the valve noise was almost immediately reduced. I'll have to ride a few more miles before I can give an honest assessment but so far so good.

2 comments:

Brant said...

sounds like its coming along good the seafoam is cheaper a walmart but still around 8 dollors but really works good dont forget to change your oil after the seafoam has a little time to clean all the gunk out and dont stress about putting to much in the gas tank i would fill up with 91 and pore the rest of the can in run that tank through and ill bet shes running great after that im thinking about riding up on friday if the weather holds out then we will have to go for a ride

Ryan said...

Sounds like a plan. I'll pray for good weather. The ride up will still be a cold one.