Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Throttle Cable Replacement Part 2

So the throttle cable came yesterday. It is a Motion Pro brand. I've read posts on forums from some serious Wingers who will only use Honda OEM parts. I couldn't care less who makes them as long as they are good. This cable seems great. I oiled it with a small motor oil and got read to install it.

Before I removed the old cable I tied a length of parachute cord (complements of my Uncle Sam) to the throttle body end. I then pulled the cable through the frame leaving the cord in the same path. Everything I've read about replacing cables says the they need to be routed right to avoid problems. Next tied the cord to the new cable and fished it back through the bike. This was not as easy as getting the old cable out. By reaching up under the faring and pushing and pulling for several minutes the cable finally emerged in the space left by removing the air cleaner.

Hooking the cable back to the throttle body is another semi daunting challenge. The first conflict is that the cable comes down the left side of the bike but installs on the right. There is a small U shaped washer that rests on the top side of where the cable is tightened down and gravity insures that the washer falls down by the nut. Small hands would be very handy when doing this type of project I've decided. My hands aren't particularly large but the space that I have to work with is very small. In the end I only cut one knuckle, which I just noticed while typing this. At long last, I got the cable tightened down and adjusted the length to take out the slack in the throttle handle. I remounted the throttle grip and brake lever and set things mostly in place.

A mostly pleasant surprise came when as I started to replace the air cleaner housing. I will say that removing it was much more difficult then getting it back in. It took a little finesse to get the breather tubes back down the frame but with a long screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers I was able to get them back in place and clamped up. The housing didn't quite mount up straight the first time I placed it on the intake. On further inspection I find that the cable, that I just replaced, needed to be raised up about a half an inch to allow the housing to fit. Again with the help of the long screwdriver I was able to press it up from the underside.

With everything back together, I set to starting the bike so I could make any other adjustments. After a several minutes of cranking I gave it a little shot of ether and it started right up. I had to adjust the idle just a little but nothing otherwise.

Start to finish the project took just about 2 hours.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I was very impressed that you got everything back together in such a short time.

Should I spoil the surprise and tell everyone (Brant)that you took her for a ride this afternoon? Opps. Now you'll have to post about your first official ride on black beauty. (actually, she's no beauty at the moment. I'm hoping that a good polishing will help fix that. Finally, something I know a little bit about... cleaning)

Brant said...

im glad you got it going i just ordered pipes and a fuel processer today should be here in a week so ill have some work to do of my own but looking forward to warm weather so we can do some real riding did you fix the coolant leak?

Ryan said...

What pipes did you end up getting? I guess you'll use Troy's garage to work on it.

Brant said...

the Cobra True Duals and COBRA Fi2000R EFI PROCESSOR should give it alittle more power and sound good