Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Maiden Voyage (of sorts)

As you know the '79 is back together and running so it is only reasonable that I took it for a little ride. The first road test is just that. A test. This was my first chance to see all the quirky things this bike has to offer.

Here is a break down of my findings:

The first observation that I had is that it is equally hard to get the bike off the show stand as it was to put it on. Goldwings are very heavy bikes.

Being a heavy bike also means that it is difficult to back up, especially in snow. I had to stand off of the bike and push in down the driveway, one hand on the seat bar and the other on the handle bar. This is a very precarious action on snow and is not advisable.

For whatever reason the bike won't start in gear even with the clutch pulled in. It won't start in neutral sometimes either. It sounds like there is broken teeth in the flywheel. I also wonder if the clutch isn't engaging all the way. I'm going to have to play with the adjustment a little.

The neutral light stays on in all the gears. It is also very difficult to change gears while the bike is stationary. Down shifting is okay but it gets stuck in 1st when idling and it is very hard to get it back to neutral.

The clutch catches at the very end of the handle (almost all the way out) and feels like it slips just a little bit when the rpms are high.

The bike balances really well. When riding it doesn't feel much heavier then my 400cc Honda. The speedometer or tachometer cable (can't tell which one but probably both) whines while driving. They will need oiling before I break one of them too.

I would like to sync the carbs. The left side runs a little hotter then the right. As for accelerating it is smooth and responsive. Not zippy  like the little bike but equally as fast.

As for the coolant leak. I'm not so sure that it wasn't just a cold seal that was leaking. It steamed just a little when I first started the bike but after riding it around a few blocks and warming us the motor really good it stopped. I will surely keep an eye one it.

Next project, tune up and work out some of these little quirks.

No comments: