Saturday, August 28, 2010

Cable Oiling

I noticed the other day that I was getting a whine in either the speedometer or odometer cable. Today I took a minute and put the bike on the center stand. I disconnected both cables and started the bike. I slowly dripped a multi-purpose oil down the odometer cable while the engine spun it. As I was waiting for the oil to go down, I would put a few drops at a time in the speedometer cable as well. It is connected to the front wheel so it was not spinning but the oil drains down that cable quite well.

After several minutes of this I decided that would hold it over until spring when I'll oil them again. I know that without using a cable oilier that it is close to impossible to get the oil to the bottom of the cable, but if I oil them often, I'm convinced that it will help. Insendently the cable stopped making the whining noise.

No comments: