Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Powder Coated Frame

I've played around with a lot of different color schemes for the '78 Goldwing frame and I've settled on this:
This is a sand rail frame that ToughCoat powder coating did a while back. After talking to the owner he has the color in stock and next week I'll get it up to him. I'm having him do the frame, rear swing arm, center stand, kickstand and steering knuckle. If I had more money and patience I might get really crazy and do the wheels and if I did that I'd want to black out the engine and on and on and on. That's what happens when you give a mouse a muffin.

Can't wait to post pics of my own frame.

In the mean time I've cleaned up the gauge cluster, straightened the radiator fins(using two small flat tip screwdrivers to carefully stand them back up straight) and polished a fist full of nuts and bolts.

When I pulled all the extra bolts from the frame I placed them in ziplock bags and numbered them like on the Goldwing service manual frame diagram:

I also drilled out the rivots on the original Honda GL1000 label on the neck of the frame so I can place it back on after the powder coating. Trying to preserve some of the history of this vintage Goldwing.

7 comments:

Brant said...

i think that color will look nice i wonder if they can power coat a tank if you did that you know it would be stronger then paint

Ryan said...

They can do the metal tanks but my 'tank' is just tupperware. I don't know if powder coat will stick to it.

Brant said...

no not plastic they put a negative charge on the part and positive on the power so it sticks then bake it have you thought about flat black dose not shine in the sun but gives a tough look to things

Ryan said...

I am still considering flat black actually. If I go that route I'll want to black out most of the engine to match it. I'd probably wrap the pipes as well.

THREELIES said...

Hey I'm new to this im in eight grade and I want to have a high school project I was wondering If you have a diagram for this frame thanks and please respond back

Ryan said...

I'm not sure what kind of diagram you are looking for besides the one posted on the blog.

You can find it using a google search and there are plenty of Honda dealers websites that will show you the full expanded view with the part numbers.

Hope that helps.

Unknown said...

Hey, Ryan! How's your sand rail project? Is it done? Would you mind posting some photos of it here in your blog? I love your color choice. Since sand rail is an off-road vehicle, the color fits as you'll be easily seen when you travel at night. Plus, powder coating it made the color stand out even more. Good job!

Lonnie Summerall