Friday, December 16, 2011

Long Awaited Update

Now that the '78 Goldwing and I have had a little time apart it is time to get reacquainted. I left this project with cleaning up the rear fender's chrome. I removed the entire fender and rear shocks. I started buffing the rust off the chrome and then decided that it would have all winter to rust again. So, I just buffed it up with Eagle One and will leave it until spring. The shocks came off very easily however I broke both of the air lines taking them off because they were so cold and brittle. Just as well. One of the lines had a hole in it and they would need to be replaced anyways.



Moving forward, I next removed a lot of the wiring and the coolant lines in order to remove this large hunk of metal that everything hooks to. That is the technical term for this piece:



Next came off the hand controls and the handle bars. I am considering changing out the OEM handle bars for drag bars. It is a little challenging to find 7/8" drag bars.



This is the resulting mess that will be left behind for another day.

No comments: