Monday, August 1, 2011

On To Lights

I really want to change out the Honda factory lights on the '78 Goldwing. Anyone who has seen them know how big and chunky they are. I would like to streamline the rear fender with a mini tombstone tail light. It is suppose to be a universal fit and the reviews that I have read say that it mounts up nicely and looks good. I wished that I could find it with a red lens however. I think that all the lenses should match. All colored or all clear.


Turn signals on bikes can either be painted or chromed and I think that both look good. For my naked '78 goldwing I like the smooth bullet style signal lights and I prefer chrome for this bike. I also prefer smaller lights. Not dangerously small but noticeably small.

I am looking at the Biker's Choice Smooth Bullet Marker Lights. They come in both red and amber lenses and have about an inch and a half face in diameter. That is about half as large as the Honda OEM marker lights. They have a dual filament bulb and should work well for a lower profile signal light.

The front signals will be mounted on either side of the Honda emblem under the headlight. Originally they were mounted up along side the headlight. The rear lights will be mounted midway back on the fender where the seat will end. The cage for the hard bags and trunk originally mounted there and the rear signal lights were coupled with the tail light and licence plate.

Speaking of the licence plate I want to move it down to the left side just behind the shock on a sideways plate mount. Something like this.
This is the Kuryakyn vertical mount and runs about 100.00 dollars. The nice thing is it is lighted already.

This one is a lot more simple but I would need to add the lights below to make it legal. This placard is about $70.00 and the lights another $30.00. After that and the time to put it together it would be well worth the money for the Kurakyn frame.

2 comments:

Brant said...

i know a guy with a cnc plasma cutter that could cut out a real nice licence plate holder then just add lights more fun and cheeper that way you get to make it your own stile

Ryan said...

Not a bad idea. I'll have to work on a template.